Tim James for Governor (Alabama): “English only” (+Parody)

Here’s an ad from GOP candidate for Governor of Alabama, Tim James, kvetching about how the drivers’ license test is given in 14 languages, and how when he is governor, it’ll be given only in English.

The jury is still out on whether it’ll be effective on election day, but… these types of ads have historically worked well in the past.  Taking a complex campaign, and refocusing it on one hot-button issue that really defines a candidate.  (Your humble editor has an opinion whether that is actually good for governing, and good for America, but… that’s a subject for another blog).

And of course, with ads like this, there are often wonderful parodies that spring up almost as quickly.  And… we’ve included one just below for your enjoyment.

18 comments

1. Tom White says:

I am not sure that the parody is funnier than the original. I truly believe the original speaks for itself.

2. altha says:

to tom white- you must be so proud- what an open minded and prgamtic governner you will have. with thousands driving on your highways that have no idea what they are doingg, i feel so much safer knowing the test was only given in a language the drvier doesn’t understand.
    thank you for such leadership.

3. Anon says:

altha, I don’t think you recognize that Tom White is saying the original is so ridiculous that you don’t even need to parody it. Maybe you don’t understand what parody is. Regardless, I do agree with Tom… the first ad is insane itself. But the parody makes a great point about diversity. I think I would have listed off all those restaurants and suggested replacing each and every one with a McDonalds to drive the point even further home.

4. Steve says:

They speak English in Alabama?

5. Mike says:

No, they don’t speak English is Alabama! They speak Merican, damn it!

6. Mika says:

That’s hilarious. I love it!

7. Terry C - NJ says:

Why do those crackers insist on other people speaking English when they don’t?

8. Gun says:

diversity my ass…….Go to Europe they don’t have any government documents in any language other then the countries spoken language……..well except the french, they’re pussies anyhow

9. Sharon says:

Yes, but if you try to speak their language,they answer you in English! Could we do the same? As for the French, you don’t know them at all!

10. Alan Batterman says:

Why not just do away with the driving test for any foreigner who can produce a valid driver’s license from his own country? If the problem is the money, the solution would be to charge a little extra for a driving test in a foreign language to cover the extra cost. If the road signs are English only, to get a driver’s license, it should be required to know enough English to read and understand the signs. But we really should use the international picture signs used in other countries. To conclude, Tim James is pandering to racism and ethnocentrism.

11. Mary says:

I would highly, highly dispute the assertion that people in Alabama speak English.

12. cravin moorehead says:

Hey, y’all. Don’t dem Bammers speak goober?

13. Scott Harris says:

Oh, it’s so embarrassing to be from Bama!

14. Ashley says:

I am an Alabamian. I speak english. I am not racist. And I posted this on my FB page because everytime the ad came on the TV I couldn’t believe anyone would campaign that way and because the paraody is funny as shit. I’m a filmmmaker and I can’t wait to find the folks that did this parody. You guys judging all Alabamians are as bad as the rest of them.

15. John says:

If your humble editor can weigh in, I will concur that there are many, many awesome folks in Alabama. I’m proud to have friends and family there, and they’re great folks.

The dude in this ad, on the other hand… seems like kind of a jackass.

Yeah, Alabama may be more conservative than most states, but… really, there are some great, great folks there.

16. bubab says:

I’m from al. most peoples here speak good old merican bubber english.

17. Brett says:

I’m from Alabama, and this is what’s wrong with Bama, and i’m sure most southern states. We refuse to acknwoledge progress, this is why America can’t move forward, ass backwards bumpkins don’t want them there illegals speakin’ their jibber jabber in Amuricha.

18. I didn’t quite get the point this when I first read it. But when I checked it out a fourth time, it all added up in my mind. Thanks for the insight. Definitely something to twirl in my mind.